A person registering a vehicle pays a fee
according to the following schedule:
(1) Motorcycle, two dollars and fifty cents;
(2) Jeep, sedan, or other vehicle not specified in subsection (3), five dollars;
(3) Pickup, truck, bus, or other vehicle not specified in subsection (1) and (2), according to weight in pounds at the time of original sale in the State:
(a) Under two thousand pounds or fraction thereof, seven dollars and fifty cents;
(b) Two thousand to two thousand nine hundred ninety-nine pounds or fraction thereof, ten dollars;
(c) Three thousand to five thousand nine hundred ninety-nine pounds or fraction thereof, fifteen dollars;
(d) Six thousand to seven thousand four hundred ninety-nine pounds or fraction thereof, twenty dollars.
(e) Seven thousand five hundred pounds and over, twenty-five dollars
The Chief of Police issues to the owner a
registration card which contains upon its face the date issued, the registration
number, the name and address of the owner, and a description of the registered
vehicle, including the engine number. The Chief of Police issues a number
plate for a registered vehicle. The registration card is in the vehicle
when the vehicle is under operation on a road.
Section 17.206. Display
(1) A vehicle operated displays a number plate issued by the Chief of Police showing the registration number and year. The plate is attached to the rear of the vehicle.
(2) By regulation the Chief of Police describes terms for issuing and displaying at least three classes of number plates: Government plates, dealer plates and private owner plates.
Section 17.207. Expiration;
A registration pursuant to this chapter
expires one year from the first day of the month in which the vehicle was
registered. If a registration is renewed more than one month after
expiring, the renewed registration shall expire one year from the date by which
it should have been renewed. If a motor vehicle is registered after
the expiration of its prior registration, the registration fee is one hundred
ten percent of the original registration fee. By regulation the Chief of
Police establishes the time for registering a vehicle.
Amended by State Law