FSMC, TITLE 26. HISTORICAL SITES & ANITQUITIES
Chapter 2: Institute for
Micronesian History & Culture
§ 201. Authorization.
§ 202. Powers and duties.
§ 203. Cooperative agreements.
§ 201. Authorization.
The Director of Administrative Services shall oversee the identification, conservation, and protection of historic properties and cultural attributes within the Federated States of Micronesia through the effective administration of funds from various sources. As used herein, "Institute" means the Director of Administrative Services or his designee.
Source: COM PL 3-34 § 2; COM PL 4-1 § 1; TT Code 1970, 67 TTC 252(part); TT Code 1980, 67 TTC 252(part); PL 1-48 § 3(part); PL 5-21 § 3.
Editor's note : Former section 202 on Director and section 203 on Advisory Panel were repealed and sections 204 and 205 were renumbered as sections 202 and 203 by PL 5-21 § 13.
The Institute shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) to provide professional assistance to historic and cultural preservation
programs in the several states;
(2) to provide professional guidance regarding historic and cultural affairs and recommendations to all levels of Government and the agencies thereof, as well as to foreign governments and private businesses operating in Micronesia;
(3) to advise the executive and legislative branches of the National Government concerning public and private actions which may affect historic properties or cultural attributes;
(4) to secure and administer grants and private contracts for research and other activities promoting the preservation of Micronesian historic properties and cultural attributes;
(5) to prepare and submit a report at least once a year to the President and the Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia setting forth the activities of the Institute during the period since its last report and its plans for the future;
(6) to establish facilities and acquire equipment and supplies as may be necessary for the effective implementation of its mandate, taking all reasonable steps to guard against unnecessary duplication of facilities and materials at the State and National level;
(7) to establish and maintain a National Archives for the Federated States of Micronesia at the Community College of Micronesia, to be a depository for documents and other articles of historic or cultural significance and to be made available to scholars and others interested in researching the history and cultures of the Federated States of Micronesia;
(8) to monitor the activities of the National Government and its agencies and private individuals or groups of individuals which could have an impact on historic properties or cultural attributes;
(9) to prepare and promulgate rules, regulations, and guidelines necessary to the effective implementation of this section; and
(10) to engage in such other activities as are not inconsistent with the purposes of this title
Source: COM PL 3-34 § 2; COM PL 4-1 § 1; TT Code 1970, 67 TTC 252(part); TT Code 1980, 67 TTC 252(part), 254; PL 1-48 § 3(part); renumbered by PL 5-21 § 13.
Cross-reference: The statutory provisions on Environmental Protection are found in title 25 of this code.
(1) The Institute is authorized to enter into cooperative agreements with, and to seek and accept financial, technical, or other assistance from, any agency of the Government of the Federated States of Micronesia, agencies of local or State governments, and educational or scientific institution, any corporation or foundation, any private party, or any foreign government and its agencies, provided such assistance or cooperation is not in conflict with a specific provision contained in a Compact of Free Association between the Government of the Federated States of Micronesia and the Government of the United States of America.
(2) Any agreement or contract with a foreign government or its agencies shall be negotiated in conjunction with the executive branch of the Government of the Federated States of Micronesia and consummated only with the express written permission of the President of the Federated States of Micronesia.
Source: COM PL 3-34 § 4; TT Code 1970, 67 TTC 255; TT Code 1980, 67 TTC 255; PL 1-48 § 5; renumbered by PL 5-21 § 13.
Cross-reference: The statutory provisions on Foreign Relations are found in title 10 of this code.